Sunday, January 17, 2010

George Post 3 Immunization or Not?

During class we heard conflicting points on the need to get (undefined) vaccinations before departing to China. Jim’s implied that it wasn’t necessary, since he didn’t get sick on his trip. Colleen pointed out that although not required (meaning China won’t force you to provide an immunization card upon entry) it is prudent to visit a Travel Clinic before departure.

I have been immunized before for travel but since it’s been a number of years I was concerned my immunizations were outdated so I researched the topic.

I am sharing my findings and thoughts in the hope that it helps your decision process.

What Shots Do I Need

This website - http://travel.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vaccines_Needed_for_Travel_to_China states the following

The following vaccinations are necessary in preparation for travel to China:
Tetanus this is necessary as you acquire Tetanus via a simple cut or scratch.
Hepatitis A and typhoid – these infections can be easily contracted through poor food and water hygiene. Countries such as China can have primitive hygiene practices, particularly in remote dwellings.
Diphtheria – spread through water droplets. Close contact with local residents in poverty-stricken areas, can pose a risk of infection.

The site goes on to say that these shots are considered adequate if you aren’t going to rural areas.

This information is consistent with what the nurse at an Occupational Health Center “unofficially” told me. In addition she knew that I had just gotten the H1N1 shot.


Where Do I Go?

I received the H1N1 shot at the SXU Health Center and it was free, with no waiting. Unfortunately they don’t have the other ones. Not all of the mentioned immunizations may be available at your family doctor either. Usually you need to go to a Travel Doctor or Travel Clinic and they typically charge you for a consultation and an additional fee for each immunization.

Colleen had previously provided me the following information.

“The SXU Health Clinic does not carry the typhoid vaccination (likely because this is not a routine vaccination for US residents). This can be obtained at a travel clinic: http://www.istm.org/

The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) School of Public Health Travelers Health and Immunization Service also carries the recommended vaccinations: http://www.uic.edu/sph/glakes/occupational/occu_travel.htm if this is convenient” for you. (Apparently they offer a student discount). "
__________________________________________________________
I made an appointment at the Advocate Occupational Health Center Travel Center, that’s where I get my annual physical. They quoted me $40 for my consultation. From a cost standpoint I will get reimbursed from my FSA account for any costs (consultation and immunization) that my insurance doesn’t cover.

Here is the information from their website;

Using the Advocate Travel Centers is easy and efficient.We are open to individuals and their families traveling to any destination.

When traveling abroad, Advocate Occupational Health can play a vital role in planning for your trip. Travelers to foreign destinations may encounter a variety of illnesses not commonly found in the United States. In some cases, health risks may change within different regions of the same country. Our medical staff will research each of your destinations for active diseases and develop a specific plan for your trip. A personalized plan will provide recommendations that include health precautions and vaccinations based on your health history, age, and itinerary.

Make an appointment at one of our conveniently located centers:
Barrington/Fox River Grove - 847.462.2500 Downers Grove - 630.275.2900 Elk Grove Village - 847.228.0515 Hazel Crest - 708.799.8245
Schedule your appointment at least 4 - 6 weeks prior to your trip (we also can accommodate the last minute traveler).
Provide a list of your travel destinations and a record of previous vaccinations.
Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to register and complete a short health history.
Vaccinations available:
Yellow Fever
Chicken Pox
Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Flu
Japanese Encephalitis
Measles/Mumps/Rubella
Meningitis
Polio
Rabies
Typhoid

*Documentation will be provided for vaccinations given at our center.
We also provide information and medication to help prevent:
Altitude Sickness
Excessive Sun Exposure
Jet Lag
Malaria and Insect Bites
Motion Sickness
Traveler's Diarrhea

Payment:Please note that we do not accept insurance for these services. We require payment via check, cash or credit card at the time of service. We will provide a receipt that you may submit to your health insurer for possible reimbursement. We also offer corporate accounts for business travelers.


Decide ASAP

You shouldn’t procrastinate if you are going to get immunizations. You may need to make several visits to get all the shots and the immunizations need some time to become effective.

I decided to be safe versus being sorry later on. Everything I have heard and read is that the water will get you sick for sure. In most cases this is referenced as Traveler's Diarrhea, but it doesn’t preclude the potential for something more serious such as Typhoid which also comes from unsanitary water. What with the cost of the entire trip I consider this a relatively minor expense, especially if my health insurance picks up a portion.

Additional References


http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

1 comment:

  1. George,

    This is very good information and this is also my first blog. I would highly recommend the vaccinations especially for typhoid. Typhoid can easily be contracted from the water in most emerging nations.
    I intend to make my appointment next week at the Advocate clinic since I also use them for my health services.

    ReplyDelete