Monday, February 15, 2010

Kelly McGarigle - Post 6- movie

Hello,

The movie I chose was titled, “Fight of the Red Dragon,” directed by Yuen Woo-ping, made in 1993. The film takes place somewhere in China during a time when Opium has taken over much of the country because of a corrupt Chinese emperor. A character named Hwang Fei Hung starts a revolution against the drug lords to prevent them from completely taking over the whole country. During his quest, a young man by the name of So Chan joins the adventures against the drug lords. Prolems arise when Chan finds himself wrapped in the clutches of Opium and starting to turn into a junkie like so many others. Chan eventually finds his way out of his toxic hole to return to fight the drug lords to stop the further spread of the Opium and takeover by the villains.

I thought the movie was okay. It featured a lot of kung fu fighting but those scenes went pretty fast however, at times it was almost hard to keep up with the fighting scenes because the image was a little blury. The movie was dubbed in English however, they did not attempt to match it very close so at times you were watching characters talk without their mouth moving correctly to the words.

When I first started watching it I thought it was going to be more of an action packed drama but there were definitely some comedic bits throughout that surprised me. I know in China, the father of a family is very respected, well in this movie, the father was often times grabbed by the nose and dragged around by his wife when he made a mistake; which I couldn’t help but laugh at. With how much control the government has on China I was surprised that such a portrayel was able to make it out on video, not knowing a lot about communism, I just thought movies would be sensored more to maintain respect to the men of China and not make them a mockery. Or maybe I was looking into this a little too much and maybe it was just a typical kung fu/ comedy that is still taken lightly contrary to the communistic ways of China.

If I were to pick another movie to watch I definitely think I would pick a movie with a more relaxed plot and not so much fighting.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, a sterotypical portrayal of China based on your comments. I have not seen the movie but it seems like a better choice would be any of the award winning movies that use mainland China as the context. One that I enjoyed a lot was Bicycle Thief as it showed how the economic boom in China has still left few unfortunate ones behind.
    Your grade for this blog is 4 points (make sure your proofread your posts).

    ReplyDelete