Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Great Taste House

Great Taste House is the restaurant that I visited in Chinatown, with two of my high school friends. The restaurant is located pm 2342 S Wentworth Ave, Chicago, IL 60616. The dishes in the restaurant can primarily be found in Hong Kong; however, the dish we ate in Beijing, China (the Peking Duck) can be found in the restaurant as well. Duck can also be found in a variety of other ways, i.e. marinated, Bar-Be-Qued, in Shredded Strips in a Soup, and several other ways.

In addition to the Peking Duck, we enjoyed Pot Stickers. I believe that Pot Stickers are steamed dumplings. The ones that we tried were filled with Pork. The meat was completely tender and moist, and the dough had a wonderful texture.

Eventually we ordered seafood fried rice; however, it may not be the type that you are accustomed to. The seafood included scallops, cuttle fish, crab, and shrimp. Although I was not familiar with cuttle fish, my friend Linda insisted that I try it. Below is a photograph of cuttle fish before and after it is prepared.



This is a texture that I find difficult to describe, despite the fact that it taste like most fish that I have eaten. At times it was difficult to chew (slightly rubbery), but I simply accredited that to the type of fish it was. Nevertheless, we all enjoyed this dish.

The final dish we ate at this restaurant was Crab Rangoon, which are another type of dumplings. They are deep fried and filled with cream cheese and crab meat.

The customer service was excellent, and the total cost for our feast was only $30! I would describe the atmosphere as causal, and I good place to have a nice sit-down meal with friends. While in the restaurant I also noticed the diversity of their customers. I would recommend the Great Taste House to anyone.

The following is a video of my friends Patricia, Linda, and myself at the end of our meal:


Thank you!


1 comment:

  1. Well done. I could not view the video and the first picture was not visible. Your scores for the combines text and video blog is 15 points.

    ReplyDelete